IT & Communication Technology
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced Technical Operations Manager to join Manchester City Council. It is a time of fast paced change within the organisation with a number of key projects in motion which are set to deliver enhancements to users and residents alike. The successful candidate will be joining a busy and diverse team and have responsibility for all the underpinning architecture upon which all critical council services reside.
Managing a team of 6 SME’s, this post will work closely with the Enterprise Architecture function to advise and agree upon the best technological solutions for the future. A solid technical appreciation and skill set are required alongside a strong managerial background.
The successful applicant will be a strong people manager, with good organisational skills, able to prioritise work quickly and efficiently and remain calm under pressure. Capable of strategic thinking, a good appreciation of the Technical market and a proven track record of successful delivery.
- TIL accreditation (at least Foundation Level) with proven experience of working under an ITIL Framework - operating within SLA and KPI parameters.
- Strong Communication skills - both written and oral with an ability to translate complex IT language into information which can be understood by key stakeholders throughout the organisation
- Previous experience of managing a Technical Team with strong leadership skills
- Significant knowledge of the relevant legislative framework and professional standards both within the ICT industry and in particular to a local authority
- Previous experience of managing a data centre facility
- Stakeholder management - across all levels of the organisation
- Supplier management
- Project Management
- Continuous Service Improvement
- The ability to work flexibly is also essential as the post holder will be required to work Out of hours as a Duty Problem Manager on a rota basis.
An appreciation of the following technologies (but not limited to);
- Hyperconverged Infrastructure
- Windows Server
- Storage and backup
- Remote access
- Managed Print
The post resides in the Technical Operations function of the Service Operations Team. The Team is busy and varied and is composed of circa 114 FTE's. Part of the overall ICT Service of 160 FTE's.
The Council has a number of IT systems and secure email accounts that are part of the Government's Public Services Network (PSN). In 2014, the Cabinet Office introduced a minimum level of security screening for all staff that have access to any IT systems or gcsx email account which form part of the Public Services Network. This security screening is called the Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS). This check involves verification of identity; nationality and immigration status; employment history (past 3 years) and criminal record.
This post is subject to BPSS checks. You will therefore be required to consent to and comply with BPSS checking requirements prior to commencing in this post which includes applying for a Basic Disclosure check.
Manchester City Council is committed to giving fair support to members of the Armed Forces and veterans, whilst recognising and remembering the sacrifices they have made.
We are an Equal Opportunities Employer and we positively welcome applications from all candidates regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation.