Responsible to: Head Chef
Scope and general purpose of job: To lead the heart of the house, and kitchen department in achieving total guest satisfaction, through the delivery of items to the set deadlines, whether it is food, or administrative. Whilst maximizing organizational profitability through the effective utilization of all resources. To have a smart appearance, in good health is able to work under a pressure environment, with a responsible attitude.
Is willing to work flexible hours, has a pleasant manner with guests, good telephone mannerKEY RESPONSIBILITIES
- To at all times abide by the Data Protection Act and maintain the utmost confidentiality in respect of personal or sensitive information.
- To be fully aware of and adhere without exception to all Company policies, procedures, rules and regulations as laid out in the Employee Handbook, the department’s minimum operating standards, and the Company’s ‘Group Behavioral Norms’, acting as a role model for other associates at all times.
- To set an example in personal grooming, encouraging other associates to be well-groomed and dressed in accordance with the Company’s dress code / uniform guidelines, and also to be punctual for duty and appointments.
- To maintain positive and effective working relationships within the department and with all other colleagues
- To foster a working environment that is high in employee morale and provides constant learning and development and career progression opportunities.
- To conduct regular performance appraisals according to the Company’s formal procedure, setting measurable goals for each associate, ensuring personal skills are suitable for the tasks set for each position, and recommending appropriate training when necessary.
- To recommend changes in task deployment, salary adjustments and promotions in accordance with budgets or sound business reasoning, in conjunction with the chef Patron and Human Resources.
- To oversee the smooth running of your assigned kitchen, including heart of house porters, training and development and all H.A.C.C.P. monitoring, and rota writing.
- To check all prepared mis en place food stocks including dry stores and order as necessary, maintaining the correct par stocks and rotation, to prepare items fresh, not to over or under produce.
- To supervise all the preparation of all mis en place, ensuring all the required work is carried out prior to service, to control wastage and prevent pilfering
- To train all new staff in the section to the standards required by the kitchen and the hotel. To set up a file of standard recipes, (with costing (updated every 3 months at a minimum).
- To monitor the operation to ensure consistency in standards, liaising as necessary with the Chefs.
- To be responsible for the property’s compliance with corporate initiatives including the Brand Standards, and driving new processes, spearheading training, and ensuring the timely reporting of all data, as required.
- To project manage all Planned Preventative Maintenance (PPM) projects, in conjunction with the Chief Engineer and Executive Housekeeper.
- To develop systems, menus and procedures to achieve greater cost efficiency and guest satisfaction.
- To adhere without exception to the Company’s Credit Policy.
- To conduct daily checks, to include food hygiene, fridge temperatures, ordering, and rota writing, Maintenance and other departments to ensure that corrective actions are taken in a timely fashion where necessary.
- To support the front of house service Manager –in working closely in the area of promotions, and implementation of menus etc.
- To ensure prompt, efficient and accurate service to all guests and associates.
- To ensure that the minimum operating standards for the department is consistently adhered to. Including the care and hygiene of all operating equipment.
- To co-ordinate actions with the Kitchen and other departments, through the guest cycle.
- To coach and nurture all members of the department in the performance of their duties. And to adapt a clean as you go policy.
- To maintain effective communication and a close rapport with the front of house staff and other sections within the kitchen department, and champion the promotion of the outlet to guests.
- To conduct weekly Departmental Communication Meetings with the chefs, and also with your section team.
- To represent the department in meetings and on committees as required. Such as the weekly function sheet meeting and the daily food and beverage meetings
- To attend training sessions as required.
- To work in accordance with the Company’s health and safety policy, reporting any concerns to the Department Manager.
- To remain aware of the Company’s emergency procedures and the location of the fire exits, assembly points, and fire fighting equipment within the vicinity of the department.
- To conduct other duties from time to time, to be willing to work in other sections of the kitchen department, as and when requested.
- To achieve budgeted Food Gross Profit Percentage, whilst maintaining quality and portion control, as agreed with the Manager
- Progression through a variety of heart-of-house disciplines and previous experience in a quality establishment, with the ability to run the kitchen operation from day to day, including hotplate skills.
- A thorough understanding of menu writing and revenue management, including current food costs, costings and trends, including ethnic and specialist food awareness.
- Previous experience of cross-departmental project management
- A proven ability to achieve results within set timelines through the management of other supervisors or subordinates
- Well-groomed and presented, with an excellent command of written and spoken English
- Strong keyboard skills and fully conversant with Microsoft Office applications
- Highly organized, efficient and attentive to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills and outgoing disposition, able to interact with confidence and influence others at all levels
- N.V.Q. LEVELS 1,2,3. or equivalent qualification
- Previous experience of a busy exclusive product
- Fluency in one or more foreign languages