IT & Communication Technology
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced ICT Service Manager to join Manchester City Council’s ICT department. At a time of fast paced change for the organisation, the service is implementing several key projects which are set to deliver enhancements to users and residents alike whilst at the same time supporting and running the IT services that serve the people of Manchester.
The successful candidate will be joining a busy and diverse team and have responsibility for the development and relationship management with Suppliers and internal stakeholders for the delivery of ICT services.
Managing a small team this post will work closely with the various Teams within ICT and across the Council to advise and agree upon the best technological solutions for the future. Having a solid technical and commercial appreciation and skill set are required alongside a strong managerial background is important for any prospective candidates.
The successful applicant will be a strong people manager, with good organisational skills, able to prioritise work quickly and efficiently and remain calm under pressure. Capable of strategic thinking, a good appreciation of the Technical, Commercial and Procurement landscapes with a proven track record of successful delivery.
The successful candidate will:
- Ensure the service design is mapped out with consideration to the existing operating model to determine any gaps and changes / additions which may be required
- Act as the prime interface for service design, leading, planning and coordinating service design activities across functions, projects, suppliers and service teams.
- Help develop Service Level Agreements that supports Procurement /Service introduction activity
- Engage with the continuous review of existing Service and Service Levels in operational management and develop new SLAs and underpinning Operational Level Agreements
- Provide subject matter advice around end-to-end IT service lifecycle.
- Contribute to the development of service models for new or changing services with external Third Parties and internal service providers.
- Collaborate and negotiate with third parties and vendors to develop strong service and commercial relationships
- Be involved with and contribute to service reviews with internal and external stakeholders.
- Be responsible for service reporting and preparing reports from a range of different data sources and present in a way that can be easily understood.
Skills and Experience
As the successful candidate you will be able to demonstrate experience and knowledge of the following:
- Proven knowledge and experience of applying the ITIL lifecycle in particular ITIL service design for new and changed services.
- Significant experience of the end-to-end IT service design process, from design of the service, through the implementation phase and into operations.
- Proven experience of service design coordination, including ownership and governance, through defining service management processes, roles and capabilities
- Proven experience of applying appropriate measurements, methods and metrics for service delivery
- Understanding of a successful IT service and the benefits of one and how to maintain them
- ITIL accreditation (at least Foundation Level) with proven experience of working under an ITIL Framework – understanding the service lifecycle and operating within SLA and KPI parameters.
- Demonstrable experience of championing Continuous Service Improvement
- Significant knowledge of the relevant legislative framework and professional standards both within the ICT industry and ideally within the public sector
- Strong Communication skills - both written and oral with a demonstrable ability to translate complex IT language into information which can be understood by key stakeholders throughout the organisation
- Highly developed leadership and management skills with previous experience of managing teams of people.
- Proven strong stakeholder management skills, experience of cross-functional working - across all levels of the organisation and the ability to demonstrate a collaborative approach with regards to building key relationships across the department and wider organisation.
- Proven supplier management experience - onboarding new suppliers to the Council and supporting the relationship and service management of existing ones, including the Financial Management of IT services.
- An understanding of Supplier Management and financial management of IT Services
- An understanding of project management methodologies or best practices such as PRINCE2 or PMBOK
- Previous public sector experience
- Experience of ServiceNow ITSM and / or ITBM, or similar Service Management & Project Management toolsets
The ideal candidate
Whilst we’re open minded about your industry/sector background, you will be recognised as a high-performing Project Management Professional, with demonstrable success in complex environments. You will demonstrate the capability and potential to build and lead high performing teams.