This post requires a relevant technical qualification in Civil Engineering or equivalent and/or appropriate experience of contract management.
You will provide leadership to resource planning, procurement and commissioning in order to deliver a cost-effective and efficient service. This may be through contract management and service commissioning, or through the management of a business unit. Accountable for all aspects of contract or service agreements, taking a lead on strategic reviews where required to ensure that commissioned services are fit for purpose.
Ensure effective commercial performance management, building capacity within the service to maintain continuous improvement against key performance indicators and service level agreements.
Support and provide expert advice to stakeholders within the organisation to ensure commercial processes and strategies are in place to manage their service requirements. Ensure appropriate systems are in place for contract review, and consult stakeholders regarding service development and direction.
Contribute to the delivery of high quality analysis of the current market and the impact of potential changes and work with stakeholders to ensure a stable core of efficient, effective providers and a market which is developed to meet future need
The successful candidate will have:
- Excellent proven communication demonstrating the ability to negotiate difficult agreements.
- The ability to influence and persuade internal or external stakeholders.
- Have clear, succinct and correct written communication.
- Be able to contribute to the development, implementation and evaluation of strategy to shape future plans. have resource and financial management skills to develop effective planning and management of allocated resources, delivering business performance and value for money.
- Strong research and intelligence skills, be able to conduct research using a variety of techniques in order to gather evidence and evaluate intelligence, accurately recording in compliance.
- Be able to find creative and innovative solutions where there are no existing parameters or procedural framework.
- Have strong problem solving and decision making skills to make independent decisions and to select the appropriate course of action to produce a logical, practical and acceptable solution.
- Have excellent proven time management skills, prioritising, preparing in advance and setting realistic timescales for own self and others.
- Have strong analytical skills, demonstrating the ability to absorb, understand and quickly assimilate complex information, comparing information from a number of different sources.
- Have experience of managing Contractors and Consultants across Highway maintenance experience frameworks or contracts as part of the annual programmes of inspections and planned works.
Manchester City Council is a place where you can put your innovative thinking and business skills into high gear and work alongside other highly competent and motivated people. It's a place where you can apply your skills to some of the most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects across Greater Manchester.
In the Highways Service in Manchester, we seek to manage the highway network and public spaces efficiently. We balance the various needs of users and stakeholders, improving network reliability work with colleagues and members in a partnership way that takes a strategic approach to highway infrastructure to deliver the Council’s vision and strategies and supports the growth aspirations of the city.
We maintain the highway, structures and public spaces and its assets fulfilling the Council’s legal obligations in a cost effective way using a whole life costing approach communicate with residents, stakeholders, business, visitors and commuters in relation to service delivery and work programmes and their levels of satisfaction. We Improve, develop, design, procure and implement improvement schemes to make better use of the existing network, improving accessibility and increasing journey time reliability. We create, design and deliver sustainable and active transport through better and increased walking and cycling routes and supporting children with road safety. Effectively using a supply chain and increase social value for Manchester. We support utility companies to manage critical infrastructure.
The Network Management Team provides services for communities and neighbourhoods, including planned and reactive maintenance, network management and development control, co-ordinating and managing road works, winter maintenance (including gritting), highways structures(bridges etc), flood management, parking, public spaces, monuments and water features. They aim to meet the needs of the city and our residents by providing the best possible service, working efficiently and generating income.