Care & Social Care
Job title: NightLight Team Leader
Salary scale: £25,000 - £27,500 pro rota
Contracted hours: 37.5 hours per week – job share/part time hours available
Working Base: Countywide (expectation of working throughout Hertfordshire; base can be negotiated)
Reports to: Crisis Services Manager
Working days: 37.5 hours per week, over a 7 day week
Flexibility required: Working pattern will be between 17:30 – 01:30, including bank holidays and weekends, with some flexibility of 9-5 hours when required.
Contract Length: Permanent contract
Checks needed: Enhanced DBS and 2 satisfactory references
Hertfordshire Mind Network’s NightLight Crisis Services are rapidly expanding and is increasing service delivery out of hours throughout Hertfordshire. The NightLight Service is proud to provide urgent support, crisis intervention and emotional support to people experiencing a mental health crisis in Hertfordshire as an alternative to statutory pathways. We provide support to adults across Hertfordshire 7 days a week, 365 days a year through our helpline, crisis cafes and a weekend Crisis House. We aim to provide a safe space for people in crisis to talk and feel supported, be listened to without judgement, access relevant support with problem solving and facilitate access to external services when necessary. As a member of our diverse team, you will work closely with service users in crisis by using a person-centred approach to ensure that each individual is supported with dignity and respect. By honouring the individual experience of each service user, we are able to respect their autonomy as well as encourage and facilitate positive steps towards management of crisis and recovery.
Purpose of post
To be a key member of the NightLight management team, providing effective operational leadership delivering the NightLight Mental Health Crisis Service. You will take part in a rota covering 7 days per week, ensuring the delivery and development of quality crisis support services and instilling Hertfordshire Mind Network’s values throughout the provision. You will provide management support to NightLight Coordinators and support the Service Manager in ensuring practice within the service is safe, effective and person centred, as well as supporting the implementation of strategic service plans.
The objectives of Hertfordshire Mind Network’s (HMN) NightLight Mental Health Crisis Service are:
- To improve the mental and emotional wellbeing of people experiencing a mental health crisis in Hertfordshire.
- To increase early access to help for people experiencing a mental health crisis in Hertfordshire, by providing a clear and effective pathway to other services provided by HMN and other third sector and statutory providers.
- To remain a source of independent support for all clients.
- To provide an alternative pathway to people in distress and crisis to support better outcomes and reduce the demand on statutory crisis services and emergency services.
You will be line managed by the Service Manager, but will manage your own workload, prioritising tasks and working on your own initiative.
- To lead and support the development of the NightLight Mental Health Crisis Service with the Service Manager.
- Contribute to the service development by working alongside the Service Manager to complete audits to help evaluate quality and produce monitoring reports.
- Representing NightLight and wider HMN at external meetings, and network locally to develop contacts, services and raise Herts Mind Network’s profile.
- Encouraging a culture of continuous performance improvement at both an individual and service level including supporting the Service Manager with complaints and compliment management and service evaluations.
- Participating in training and development opportunities as agreed with the Service Manager.
- Overseeing and ensuring the delivery of appropriate needs and risk assessments and support planning for clients.
- To provide regular line management, supervision and appraisal for coordinators and ensure they are completing such with their supervisees.
- To assist with the recruitment of staff and supporting their induction and professional development.
- Supporting the service manager with developing and ensuring ongoing positive relationship with external NHS, local authority and emergency services including Crisis Resolution Home Treatment Teams, Single Point of Access, Safeguarding Out of Hours Service, Mental Health Liaison Teams, Adult Community Mental Health Services etc.
- Organising a rota to ensure appropriate service cover is in place at all times across the NightLight provision – including the crisis cafés, telephone helpline and crisis centre/house.
- Monitoring team’s performance to ensure it meets expectations and agreed performance criteria, reporting variances to the Services Manager.
- Supporting the Service Manager and Head of Service with generating quarterly reports to measure effectiveness of service delivery.
- Work alongside the Marketing team to develop promotional materials and promote the service.
- To support in the development of a NightLight social media promotional campaign. This will include using social media (e.g. Facebook, Twitter and YouTube) as a marketing tool and using digital marketing skills such as the creation of promotional videos.
- To provide presentations on the work of NightLight and HMN and raise awareness around mental health and challenge stigma.
- Attending meetings and being the first point of contact on behalf of the crisis Service Manager.
- To ensure compliance with legal, ethical and regulatory requirements.
- To manage personal resources and own professional development.
- To ensure all duties are carried out in a manner which promotes equity and diversity.
- To promote a health and safety culture within the workplace by working in accordance with policies, procedures and raising concerns as required.
- Work in accordance with HMN Confidentiality Policy and wider GDPR.
- To be an active and effective team member.
- At all times to carry out every aspect of your duties with due regard to HMN policies, procedures and values.
- To ensure HMN values are embedded in the service.
- To maintain a professional level of communication at all times.
- To maintain appropriate record keeping via client recording management system.
- Maintain full accountability to the project through supervision and appraisal processes.
- Undertake other duties as may be reasonably determined by line management, the CEO or Board of Directors.
Leadership and Representation
You will line manage a number of Crisis Service Coordinators and be the operational lead for a designated part of the service. This will include providing supervision, supporting service audits on practice, assisting with service reporting and representing the service in meetings with external stakeholders. On occasion, you will be required to provide wider remote leadership cover across other NightLight Services using Microsoft Teams. This will include undertaking assessments over the phone for the NightLight Professional Referral Line for Crisis Café and Crisis Centre visits, providing advice, discussion, and complex case support and supporting with any incidents or escalation required.