IT & Communication Technology
Junior Web Project Assistant
£24,355 per annum
Full-Time | Fixed term appointment of 2 years
Renowned internationally for its research excellence supporting a sustainable ocean, Plymouth Marine Laboratory (PML) has an exciting opportunity for a Junior Web Project Assistant to join the Marketing and Communications team.
As a charity we aim to develop and apply innovative marine science to ensure a sustainable future for our ocean.
For over 40 years we have provided evidence-based environmental solutions to societal challenges by applying innovative, interdisciplinary research that benefits society and promotes stewardship of marine ecosystems. Since 2002, and in association with a wide range of national and international partners, we have provided these capabilities as an independent company limited by guarantee with charitable status.
The impact of our science is far-reaching ranging from highly cited scientific papers, to providing scientific evidence for policy and training the next generation of marine scientists. Through the delivery of our science plan, we are also contributing to UN (United Nations) Sustainable Development Goals to promote healthy, productive, and resilient oceans and seas.
This role will involve working closely with the Webmaster and wider Marketing & Communications team to assist with the design and development of websites and webpages to promote the organisation and to fulfil deliverables for funded projects.
This technical and creative role will focus on the building of websites within our content management system so knowledge of front-end web development is important, however, additional technical training will also be provided. Some design experience would be of additional benefit to the role but is not essential.
You will also be required to assist with ad-hoc administrative tasks such as domain management and content requests, liaising with project leads and other staff to understand requirements.
- Demonstrable portfolio of work (web/digital)
- Experience in front-end web development including HTML and CSS.
- Expertise in Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator for design and optimizing imagery for web.
- Good understanding of web accessibility principles.
- Good understanding of Search Engine Optimisation
- Understanding of modern web development and browsers
- Understanding of web performance techniques and principles.
- Ability to use Google Analytics to monitor web traffic and user behaviour.
- Keen to learn and develop skills and stay up-to-date with current web trends and technology
- Excellent written skills in English
- Experience in using a website Content Management System.
- Creativity and design experience
- Knowledge of Bootstrap (and SASS)
In return, we offer:
30 days holiday per year, plus 2.5 privilege days, Free car parking (although our location is excellent for public transport links), Flexible working hours scheme, Company Pension Scheme with up to 10% employer contributions, Life assurance, plus more…
For further information and to apply, please click the apply button!
Closing date: 13th October 2022.
PML operates a hybrid working policy whereby employees are able to split their working arrangements equally between PML’s Plymouth offices and home-based working.
PML is committed to equality, diversity and inclusion, and our policy can be found on our website. As part of this, we offer opportunities to discuss flexible working and whilst the selection process will be based on merit, we particularly welcome applications from currently underrepresented areas.