The Head of Shared Service at Manchester City Council is responsible for The Shared Service Centre (SSC) which forms part of the Corporate Core directorate and is the back office financial support function for the Council. This is split into two areas: Employee Services and Finance Services. Employee Services provide support for the following functions: Payroll, Pensions, Transactional HR activity across MCC and Schools and Finance supports the following functions: Purchase Ledger, payments, income and banking reconciliation.
About the role:
This person will lead the Council’s Shared Service Centre to make continued service improvements and provide excellent support services.
The person will ensure that the Council is compliant in terms of payroll performance and best practice, including HMRC and the pension schemes. The post holder will have close and positive relationships with Finance and HR and will be Council’s payroll subject matter expert.
This is an exciting time, as we will go live with a cash management system in the Autumn and we will be working towards compliance in PCI DSS. The role holder will also manage key financial contracts supporting financial processing
The successful candidate will have:
- A relevant professional qualification i.e Institute for Payroll Professional Management qualification (IPPM) or substantial or successful experience in the field.
- Extensive knowledge, experience and understanding of the major issues facing the service specifically in pensions and payroll administration
- Expertise and experience of high-level stakeholder and customer management and a high level of knowledge and understanding of the operation of a customer-focused service provision with knowledge and understanding of providing this in a public sector or large complex organisation;
- Extensive and wide ranging operational and strategic management experience in a large and complex organisation.
- Significant experience of people management in a large-scale operation.
- Credible senior payroll and pensions expert, with the ability to advise senior management on key issues..
- Significant systems thinking experience to support service improvement and cost savings.
- Experience of PCI DSS and the Civica financial management system would be preferred, although not essential.
If you have the above experience and skills and would like to work in a dynamic and interesting environment we would like to hear from you.
Our benefits package is based around these values, and as an employer we are always seeking to develop and build on the benefits package based on what our people are asking for. The below provides an overview of some of the benefits we offer :
- Local Government Pension scheme
- Flexible Working Arrangements
- Discounted travel scheme
- 25 days paid annual leave initially, increasing to 30 after 5 years service
- MCC Cycle to Work Scheme
- Career development and succession opportunities
Manchester City Council is committed to giving fair support to members of the Armed Forces and veterans, whilst recognising and remembering the sacrifices they have made
We are an Equal Opportunities Employer and we positively welcome applications from all candidates regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation.