Are you a People or Shared Service Centre Manager with extensive knowledge and experience within pensions and payroll administration? Do you hold a relevant professional qualification in this field? If so, we are looking for a successful person to lead the Council’s Shared Services Centre to make continued service improvements and provide excellent support services.
Manchester City Council is the local government authority for Manchester, a city and metropolitan borough in Greater Manchester. It is composed of 96 councillors, three for each of the 32 electoral wards of Manchester. Currently the council is controlled by the Labour Party and is led by Sir Richard Leese.
About The Role:
The successful candidate will ensure that the Council is compliant in terms of payroll performance and best practice, including HMRC and the pension schemes. The post holder will have close and positive relationships with Finance and HR and will be Council’s payroll subject matter expert. This is an exciting time, as we will go live with a cash management system in the Autumn and we will be working towards compliance in PCI DSS. The role holder will also manage key financial contracts supporting financial processing.
Our Ideal Head of Shared Services:
We are looking for a candidate that preferably has a professional qualification such as Institute for Payroll Professional Management (IPPM) or alternatively substantial or successful experience in this field. The successful candidate will also have:
- Extensive knowledge, experience and understanding of the major issues facing the service specifically in pensions and payroll administration
- Expertise and experience of high-level stakeholder and customer management and a high level of knowledge and understanding of the operation of a customer-focused service provision with knowledge and understanding of providing this in a public sector or large complex organisation;
- Extensive and wide ranging operational and strategic management experience in a large and complex organisation.
- Significant experience of people management in a large-scale operation.
- Credible senior payroll and pensions expert, with the ability to advise senior management on key issues..
- Significant systems thinking experience to support service improvement and cost savings.
- Experience of PCI DSS and the Civica financial management system would be preferred, although not essential.
Your Head of Shared Services Benefits:
Our benefits package is based around these values, and as an employer we are always seeking to develop and build on the benefits package based on what our people are asking for. The below provides an overview of some of the benefits we offer :
- Competitive Leading Salary of between £51,305 and £54,674 per annum
- Local Government Pension scheme
- Flexible Working Arrangements
- Discounted travel scheme
- 25 days paid annual leave initially, increasing to 30 after 5 years’ service
- MCC Cycle to Work Scheme
- Career development and succession opportunities
Manchester City Council is committed to giving fair support to members of the Armed Forces and veterans, whilst recognising and remembering the sacrifices they have made
We are an Equal Opportunities Employer and we positively welcome applications from all candidates regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation.
To become the next Head of our Shared Service Centre, register your interest by clicking the Apply Now button and completing the application form. We look forward to meeting you!