IT & Communication Technology
Manchester City Council is the local government authority for Manchester, a city and metropolitan borough in Greater Manchester. It is composed of 96 councillors, three for each of the 32 electoral wards of Manchester. Currently the council is controlled by the Labour Party and is led by Sir Richard Leese.
ICT has 4 function units made up of 164 staff PMO & Governance, Engagement and Strategy, Enterprise Architecture and Service Operations.
The department’s strategy has the customer at its heart, with a vision: to be the most business-aligned Information and ICT Service in Local Government leading the way in technical innovation, data analytics and intelligence to support the Council in achieving its goals.
- Deliver a stable, robust, customer-focused and quality-driven ICT and Information service.
- Support innovation and business transformation through the better use of information and technology.
- Delivering value, managing risk and forecasting demand to the Council by managing data and information as a valuable asset.
- Service is our number 1 priority
The department has benefited from significant investment already including a market leading IT Service Management tool and PPM tool, ServiceNow, Gmail, G Suite and has a 5 year investment plan to continue to upgrade applications and the underpinning infrastructure.
Key projects to be delivered across 2019/20 will include the continued integration with Manchester Local Care Organisation, Data Centre migration and the underpinning enabling projects across Networking and Security, new telephony services, a new CRM, end user compute strategy and Windows 10 upgrade and a new Social care System.
You will be part of a team, reporting directly to the Head of Enterprise Architecture, of 2 other experienced Enterprise Architects and managing a pool of dedicated Business Analysts supporting and advising the Council’s business units with technological change within Manchester City Council. It is essential that the Enterprise Architects has extension people management skills as well as a proven high level of technical expertise.
This is a high-profile role which represents a unique opportunity to take accountability for a significant function in MCC’s ICT department. You will be helping MCC achieve its strategic objectives, shaping the forward view of ICT and ensuring investment is linked to long-term MCC strategy.
- Line manage and be responsible for the development of the department’s business analysis function
- Support strategic interface to Council’s business units via the Heads of IT to ensure that the ICT strategy is aligned with the business strategy, and the business units’ business plans are ICT-compatible
- Support the continued development of and, maintenance of an enterprise and technical architecture framework, and corresponding guidance and standards to ensure availability and capacity of infrastructure and systems, and compatibility and interoperability between new and existing systems
- Ensure that ICT systems meet the high standards in the areas of Security Management, Capacity Management, Availability Management, Service Continuity Management through setting appropriate procedures in these areas, and determining and enforcing the Architecture Framework, Technology Landscape and Architectural Integrity
- Engage with key internal stakeholders and suppliers, and drive innovation in the use of technology by establishing long-term technology and application roadmaps to ensure the best technical architecture fit for the current and future Council’s requirements
- Experience of enterprise architecture, including the following disciplines: business analysis, applications/systems engineering, data/information architectures and technical architectures.
- Experience of system architecture development, portioning of functionality among applications and components and applications interfaces/ interoperability concerns.
- Practical experience of one or more architecture frameworks and any associated architecture development methods, including TOGAF certified or equivalent.
- Track record of operating at senior levels of an organisation and translating technology into terms relating to Council’s drivers and financial performance
- Knowledge and experience of server and networking hardware and operating systems
- Knowledge and experience of system audit, reviews
- Track record of managing multiple and demanding customers with competing priorities
Skills and Behaviours Required:
- Ability to anticipate problems and to identify long-term implications of decisions and actions
- Ability to shape direction from ambiguity, bringing disparate, sometimes conflicting, views together, ensuring a balance of near-term pragmatism and an alignment with a long-term direction
- Desire to continually improve
- A strong customer service ethic, recognising internal and external customers
- Excellent influencing, communication and presentation skills, with an ability to command respect amongst business peers and at the highest levels of management and to communicate in non-technical language to key stakeholders
- Sets the tone for leadership by being a role model for others to follow, creating an environment that promotes openness, honesty and collaborative ways of working
- Ability to represent Council’s interests in key industry groups and with strategic suppliers to shape policy, understand IT trends and define Council’s responses.
Whilst we’re open minded about your industry/sector background, you will be recognised as a high-performing IT Operations and Service Management Professional, with demonstrable success in complex, high-availability environments. You will demonstrate the capability and potential to build and lead high performing teams.
Our benefits package is based around these values, and as a employer we are always seeking to develop and build on the benefits package based on what our people are asking for. The below provides an overview of some of the benefits we offer:
- Local Government Pension scheme
- Flexible Working Arrangements
- Discounted travel scheme
- 25 days paid annual leave initially, increasing to 30 after 5 years’ service
- MCC Cycle to Work Scheme
- Career development and succession opportunities
Manchester City Council is committed to giving fair support to members of the Armed Forces and veterans, whilst recognising and remembering the sacrifices they have made.
We are an Equal Opportunities Employer and we positively welcome applications from all candidates regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation.