Care & Social Care
Job title: Domestic Abuse Caseworker
Salary: 23,500 – 24,500 per annum
Contracted hours: 37.5 hrs 5 days
Working Base: Flexible – across 7 wellbeing centres
Reports to: Senior Domestic Abuse Caseworker
Flexibility required: Some evenings and/or weekends to attend events/meetings
Checks needed: Enhanced DBS and 2 satisfactory references
Hertfordshire Mind Network has had a Domestic Abuse Service in Three Rivers since 2017. Hertfordshire Mind Network now have the exciting opportunity to expand that provision across the county for a one year pilot. The aim of the Hertfordshire Mind Network Domestic Abuse Casework Service is to provide one to one support, advice, information to survivors of intimate partner or familial violence living in the community about the range, effectiveness and suitability of options to improve their safety and that of their children. All advice will be based on a thorough understanding and assessment of risk and its management.
Purpose of Post
The purpose of the Hertfordshire Mind Network Domestic Abuse Caseworker role is to:
- To provide emotional and practical support and advocacy services to clients experiencing domestic abuse
- To ensure direct contact is made with the client within a specified time of an incident being reported to the police and to carry out a risk assessment
- To ensure that the safety and wellbeing of the client is monitored and reviewed regularly
- To maintain and enhance service delivery standards and effectiveness.
- To support the team with case management and volume of referrals to ensure a short waiting time and referrals are contacted promptly and assessed appropriately.
- To collate and obtain feedback regarding the effectiveness of the service.
The objectives of Hertfordshire Mind Network’s Domestic Abuse Casework Service are:
- To support the wellbeing of clients who are affected by domestic abuse
- To improve risk management and safety for clients
- To remain a source of independent support for all clients
- To contribute to a reduction in repeat victimisation
- To reduce the number of victims withdrawals of witness statements
- To increase the reporting of children at risk of harm
- To increase early reporting of incidents
- To increase successful court outcomes by proactively supporting clients
- To work with the wider team within Hertfordshire Mind Network and support clients in accessing additional support e.g. counselling, peer support, employment support and self-development courses
- To work with other professionals e.g. police, health, social care, housing, and signpost and liaise with such agencies as necessary
- To work with and signpost to other third sector partner agencies as necessary
- To work with and provide a service for people who may have multiple needs
- To act as a point of contact for those seeking advice and signposting, assisting them with appropriate services in their area.
- Follow up on cases to obtain detailed feedback and contribute to the development of the service.
- Provide a first point of contact for professionals and clients and pass on necessary cases or referrals to the Domestic Abuse Caseworker.
- To manage a caseload of clients making contact via phone assessing their need and providing necessary outreach support in the community.
- To agree and record safety plans made with clients as well as suggesting other alternate appropriate areas of support to ensure clients are receiving some sort of support or engagement with services.
You will be line managed by the Senior Domestic Abuse Caseworker for Hertfordshire Mind Network but will manage your own workload, prioritising tasks and working on your own initiative.
Responsibilities of the post
- To receive referrals and undertake appropriate risk assessments and make direct contact within 48 hours of referral.
- To put any necessary safeguards in place
- To contact all standard to medium risk survivors of domestic abuse as referred in order to enhance their safety and access appropriate services
- To take standard to medium risk referrals from other agencies or individuals.
- To refer to the Multi Agency Risk Assessment Conference (MARAC) if required and local IDVA service. To inform clients of the referrals to MARAC
- To work with the witness services for cases going to court
- To maintain a professional level of communication at all times
- To signpost and liaise with appropriate agencies and individuals as appropriate
- To be aware of the impact on children of domestic abuse and make referrals to appropriate agencies to support the children where necessary
- To keep clear records and plans of all contacts with service users
- Maintain a full accountability to the project through supervision
- To promote the work of local services and provide information as necessary
- To act as a first point of contact for those seeking information and support for domestic abuse including enquiries from other professionals and other parties as well as survivors.
- To manage a caseload of clients and create tailor made safety plans and advice to clients experiencing domestic abuse.
- To liaise with police, health and social services to ensure necessary signposting and further referrals are completed.
- To escalate cases when necessary to senior management if the client requires additional support.
- To ensure compliance with legal, ethnical, regulatory and social requirements.
- To manage personal resources and own professional development.
- To ensure all duties are carried out in a manner which promotes equality and diversity.
- To promote a health and safety culture within the workplace, observe all health and safety rules and procedures as required and where appropriate conduct risk assessments.
- Ensure that essential information of a sensitive or personal nature is not disclosed to or discussed with inappropriate persons.
- All information must be maintained within the Data Protection Act.
- To be an active and effective team member.
- At all times to carry out every aspect of your duties with due regard to Herts Mind Network’s (HMN) policies and procedures including the Equalities Statement.
- To ensure (HMN) values are embedded in the service.
- To maintain a professional level of communication at all times.
- To keep clear records and plans of all contacts with clients, professionals and meetings with external agencies.
- Maintain full accountability to the project through supervision.
- Undertake other duties as may be reasonably determined by line management, the CEO or Board of Directors.
- Full training for the role will be provided.