Security & Protection
Location: Flexibility to work across Broadland District Council and South Norfolk Council, according to demands on service.
Do you want to help support the community and residents to provide safe, warm and healthy homes?
Do you enjoy helping people and thrive on being part of a busy team supporting residents to maintain safe homes and encourage independence, health and well-being in their home? Then read on...
What you could be part of…
Broadland and South Norfolk Councils’ Housing Standards team has an exceptional track record of supporting the community and residents to provide safe, warm and healthy homes.
As a Community Enforcement Officer, you will lead on residents’ concerns around illegal encampments and South Norfolk’s Temporary Stoppage Place. You will also be involved in investigations of tenanted housing conditions and the Councils Mobile Homes Site Licencing procedure.
The role is responsible for case management and ensuring the Council uses its statutory obligations to comply with legislation and provide the best outcomes for residents.
What you’ll be doing…
- Managing and reducing the impact of unauthorised encampments on the community following a balanced approach considering community relationships.
- Liaising with partner agencies such as the Police, Norfolk County Council and elected members in connection with the above activities whilst recording and reporting data.
- Day to day management of the Temporary Stopping Place, including the making of agreements, rent collection activities, waste management, site inspections, repairs, application of site rules and evictions.
- Detection of houses in multiple occupation by proactive searches. Inspection and licensing of HMOs along with appropriate enforcement.
- Inspection of residential premisses in line with the Housing Health & Safety Rating System.
- Inspection of Caravan Site and Camping Sites
- Undertaking any other Environmental Health duties as may from time to time be reasonably required by the Housing Standards Senior Manager.
- Providing specialist advice in Housing Standards areas of work, ensuring all legal obligations are met and planned for, keeping up to date with changes in legislation and providing expert support to staff on cases to advise on legal issues as required, particularly when enforcement action is likely.
- Acting as a complex case officer to take forward challenging cases to conclusion, including enforcement action, summary court proceedings, obtaining warrants and serving of notices and orders when appropriate.
- Providing expert legislative evidence to stakeholders, including the political environment as required to ensure the Council complies with its legal obligations.
You must have…
- Demonstration of high-level case history, including customer liaison and community enforcement history using relative legislation with a focus on Gypsies & Travellers and Houses in Multiple Occupation and/or a Environmental Health Degree/Diploma or equivalent, registered with the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health Practitioner Programme.
- Demonstration of Community engagement to achieve outcomes.
- Demonstrable experience of problem-solving, decision-making and excellent communication skills with an ability to negotiate and influence others to achieve desired outcomes,
- The ability to lead investigations and take appropriate action, sign off legal notices, summonses, appear as a witness in legal proceedings and provide specialist advice to team members and political stakeholders.
- Have a knowledge of current legislation, relative guidance, case law and corporate policy.
- A full driving licence is essential.
What’s in it for you…
Why Work For Us?
Do you want to know more about why our staff work for us? Our website has a fantastic why work for us section where our staff tell us what makes working for the Councils so special.
What Flexible and Agile Working Arrangements do we Offer?
The Councils understand the importance of operating a work life balance in the modern world. The Councils operate a flexible working policy and agile working options available for employees where operationally possible.
What Roles Do the Councils Offer?
The Councils operate a vast and diverse number of services for our residents, so with this comes a vast and diverse amount of job roles within the Councils. Our website has a great graphic showing all our job families and roles within the Councils. From here you can plan your career with the Councils or get some ideas on other roles that you may be interested in.
What Benefits do our Employees Receive?
View all our amazing staff benefits on offer for our employees. Our website has a brilliant benefits section allowing you to see the range of discounts, exclusive offers and total rewards our employees receive. Make sure you stop by to find out more information.
What Employer Accreditations do we Hold?
The Councils have a range of employer accreditations that we have worked very hard to achieve. Our website has a full descriptive list of all our current accreditations and what this means for our employees.
What Wellbeing Support do our Staff Have Access to?
The Councils want to ensure all our employees have a safe comfortable place to work, ensuring that employees feel empowered to actively manage their own wellbeing both at work and at home. The Councils have a large wellbeing section available on the website outlining our commitment to the wellbeing of the employees of the Council.
Where are we advertising?
We are advertising internally and externally.
If external, please apply via our website. If internal, please apply via submitting your expression of interest to the relevant recruiting manager; a template for an expression of interest can be found on Connect.
If you any questions about the role, then please don’t hesitate to contact the recruiting manager or the HR Team, who will be happy to answer any questions on the role or the Councils.
Closing date: 10 December 2023 at 11:30PM
The Councils reserve the right to close any and all vacancies at any time if there is judged to be a sufficient number of applications received.
Interview date: To be confirmed