IT & Communication Technology
Come and join one of the most progressive, exciting and ambitious ecommerce agencies in the UK as our Chief Technical Officer.
GENE, twice voted ‘Best Ecommerce Agency’ at the Ecommerce Expo Awards for Excellence is not your average agency. We have evolved from being a boutique ecommerce agency in Brighton, UK to one of the leading certified Magento Enterprise Partners with an international reputation. Innovation and ideas are at the heart of our business and this sets us apart. If you're looking to be part of a company that embodies technical excellence and innovation, works on the cutting edge of emerging technologies, and truly values people and culture, then GENE is the place for you.
We never wanted to be just another digital agency. Instead of following best practice, we wanted to shape it. We were the first to release Apple Pay for the web on the Magento platform and we have revolutionised Magento’s content management capability with our BlueFootCMS software which was acquired by Magento to become PageBuilder. As ecommerce partners we are trusted by clients such as PayPal, Braintree, Krispy Kreme, Tommee Tippee, Folio Society and Madison Cycles.
Our progressive approach encourages a culture where everyone feels empowered, challenged and motivated to succeed. We live by 5 principles; we want to be challenged, we want our work to have purpose, we want to achieve great results, work with people we like and enjoy what we do.
Our clients partner with us because they need a specialist ecommerce agency that can out-think and out-manoeuvre their competitors. An agency that can offer credible hands-on-consultancy backed up with the technical and creative expertise to get things done. They trust us to take a proactive leadership role in managing their online commerce, whilst also being personally involved in the decisions that shape the success of their business.
Enough about us...what about the role:
We are looking for someone who will help define and execute our technical approach, keep our team excited, engaged, motivated and challenged, consult, architect and deliver our clients’ ecommerce strategies to support their online growth.
In addition the role will play a vital and active role working alongside our CEO in realising a programme of innovation and product ideas.
The successful candidate will be an experienced, talented and ambitious technical lead; someone innovative, creative, someone with natural coding ability, a passion for web technologies including Magento, inspirational ideas and someone who wants to make a difference.
To fit in, it's important that you share our enthusiastic, proactive approach to developing relationships and understanding our clients’ commercial needs. We would like you to demonstrate:
- Proven experience as a Technical Director/CTO or similar leadership role
- Knowledge of technological trends within ecommerce to build on our approach and future strategy
- Commercial acumen and an understanding of budgets and business-planning
- Proven experience of Agile methodologies within an agency environment
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to communicate at all levels, external and internal stakeholders
- Leadership and organisational abilities
- Strategic thinking
- Problem-solving aptitude
- People leadership, coaching and mentoring skills
- Set a vision and lead the strategy for technology platforms, partnerships and external relationships
- Communicate technology strategy to customers and stakeholders
- Manage any external partners as required
- Identify, compare, select and implement technology solutions to meet short and long-term company needs
- Advise on new trends and best practices in the ecommerce technical landscape
- Take the initiative in thought leadership, innovation and creativity
- Oversea a team of Frontend and Backend Developers, DevOps and support engineers
- Act as a lead developer for FutbolMarkt, taking ownership of development tasks and working in conjunction with other contractors
- Create overall technology standards and practices and ensure adherence
- Monitor KPIs and assess technological performance
- Oversee all system design and changes in system architecture for client projects
- Represent the technological agenda in senior leadership meetings and when making hiring decisions
- Take responsibility for the security, monitoring and stability of our client websites
So why would you want to work for GENE? Well, we are ambitious, talented, hard working people, single minded in our commitment to delivering the very best in product and service for our customers. GSOH is a must along with being a team player with a can-do attitude, someone with excellent attention to detail, who is well organised, a clear thinker, a problem solver and an excellent communicator.
Whilst we predominantly work with our clients on their ecommerce businesses we also develop our own Magento software so development teams work on project cycles to split time between client work and internal projects. We are the team behind the Braintree software for Magento, the only Apple Pay connection for Magento and BlueFootCMS which was acquired by Magento.
What we can do for you
As well as very competitive salary levels, we also:
- Have a great offices in the centre of Brighton, London and Liverpool
- Regularly go for team lunches/drinks after work/industry conferences
- Flexible working hours to fit around your personal commitments
- Everybody has an annual personal, professional training budget
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays
- Company Pension
- Private Healthcare with Vitality
- Free drinks and snacks
- And you can bring your (well behaved) dog to work too!
So if you have the ability, attitude and ambition and want to work with GENE send us your CV and show us what you can do!