IT & Communication Technology
We are looking for someone who can lead, inspire, and grow our technical team; someone who understands the importance of coaching, mentoring and investing in people; someone who is excited by what technology can do to transform businesses; someone who can architect and deliver exceptional ecommerce solutions that make a real difference for our clients.
Does that sound like you? If so, come and join one of the most progressive, exciting and ambitious ecommerce agencies in the UK as our Chief Technical Officer.
GENE, twice voted ‘Best Ecommerce Agency’ at the Ecommerce Expo Awards for Excellence is not your average agency. We have evolved from being a boutique ecommerce agency in Brighton, UK, to one of the leading certified Magento (Adobe) Enterprise Partners with an international reputation.
Innovation and ideas are at the heart of our business, and it’s this that sets us apart. If you want to be part of a company that embodies technical excellence and innovation, works on the cutting edge of emerging technologies, and truly values people and culture, then GENE is the place for you.
We never wanted to be just another digital agency. Instead of following best practice, we wanted to shape it. We were the first to release Apple Pay for the web on the Magento platform, and we have revolutionised Magento’s content management capability with our BlueFootCMS software which was acquired by Magento to become PageBuilder. As ecommerce partners we are trusted by clients such as PayPal, Braintree, Krispy Kreme, Tommee Tippee, Folio Society, and Madison Cycles.
It has always been important to us that our people find meaning in their work and truly enjoy what they do. And so everyone can achieve their ambitions and excel, we have placed a great emphasis on enabling bold, innovative thinking while nurturing a supportive culture of collaboration and accountability. Our drive and curiosity for innovation in an inclusive environment is at the heart of why we are inspired at work, and has enabled us to push the boundaries to create great change for our clients.
Our clients partner with us because they need a specialist ecommerce agency that can out-think and out-manoeuvre their competitors. An agency that can offer credible hands-on-consultancy backed up with the technical and creative expertise to get things done. They trust us to take a proactive leadership role in managing their online commerce, whilst also being personally involved in the decisions that shape the success of their business.
Enough about us… what about the role:
We are looking for someone who will help define and execute our technical approach, keep our team excited, engaged, motivated, and challenged, and consult, architect, and deliver our clients’ ecommerce strategies to support their online growth.
In addition, the role will play a vital and active role working alongside our CEO in realising a programme of innovation and product ideas.
The successful candidate will be an experienced, talented, and ambitious technical lead; someone who is innovative and creative; someone with a natural coding ability and a passion for web technologies including Magento; someone who can bring inspirational ideas, and who wants to make a difference.
To fit in, it's important that you share our enthusiastic, proactive approach to developing relationships, our team culture, and understanding our clients’ commercial needs. As our inspirational technical leader we would like you to demonstrate:
- Proven experience as a Technical Director/CTO or similar leadership role
- Knowledge of technological trends within ecommerce to build on our approach and future strategy
- Commercial acumen and an understanding of budgets and business-planning, ensuring our technical delivery exceeds our client needs and delivers business value for GENE
- Proven experience of Agile methodologies within an agency environment
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to communicate at all levels, including external and internal stakeholders, with passion and enthusiasm
- Leadership and organisational abilities and working collaboratively with others
- Strategic thinking
- An aptitude for problem-solving
- People leadership, and coaching and mentoring skills
- Experience within the technology and ecommerce industry
- Ability to engage with clients and industry partners with confidence.
You will be responsible for
- Setting the vision and taking ownership for GENE’s technical strategy
- Being part of our leadership team and accountable for the delivery of our technical strategy and output
- Communicating technology strategy to your team, customers, and stakeholders
- Representing GENE within the Adobe/Magento marketplace and wider community; building on, and maintaining our strong industry reputation
- Identifying, comparing, selecting, and implementing technology solutions to meet short and long-term company needs
- Advising on new trends and best practices in the ecommerce technical landscape
- Taking the initiative in thought leadership, innovation, and creativity
- Overseeing a team of Frontend and Backend Developers, DevOps, and support engineers, providing leadership, promoting excellence and operational effectiveness, whilst staying true to our core values
- Setting overall technology standards and practices and monitoring KPIs and assess technological performance
- Overseeing all system design and changes in system architecture for client projects
- Representing the technological agenda in senior leadership meetings and when making hiring decisions
- Being accountable for the quality and delivery of all technical output, delegating and elevating others to take ownership and pride in their work
- Identifying the right skills, training and team structure to grow the technology teams
- Taking responsibility for the security, monitoring and stability of our client websites
- Working alongside others and collaborating with team members to deliver a seamless and industry-leading service for our clients
So why would you want to work for GENE? We are ambitious, talented, hard working people, who are single-minded in our commitment to delivering the very best in product and service for our customers. GSOH is a must, along with being a team player with a can-do attitude, someone with excellent attention to detail who is well organised, a clear thinker, a problem solver, and an excellent communicator.
Whilst we predominantly work with our clients on their ecommerce businesses, we also develop our own Magento software, so development teams work on project cycles to split time between client work and internal projects. We are the team behind the Braintree software for Magento, the only Apple Pay connection for Magento and BlueFootCMS which was acquired by Magento.
What we can do for you
As well as very competitive salary levels, we also:
- Have great offices in the centre of Brighton, London, and Liverpool
- Regularly go for team lunches/drinks after work/industry conferences
- Flexible working hours to fit around your personal commitments
- Everybody has an annual personal, professional training budget
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays
- Company Pension
- Private Healthcare with Vitality
- Free drinks and snacks
- And you can bring your (well behaved) dog to work too!
So if you have the ability, attitude and ambition and want to work with GENE send us your CV and show us what you can do!
You must be eligible to take up full-time permanent employment in the UK