IT & Communication Technology
Come and join one of the most progressive, exciting and ambitious ecommerce agencies in the UK.
GENE, twice voted ‘Best Ecommerce Agency’ at the Ecommerce Expo Awards for Excellence is not your average agency. We have evolved from being a boutique ecommerce agency in Brighton, UK to one of the leading certified Magento Enterprise Partners with an international reputation. Innovation and ideas are at the heart of our business and this sets us apart.
We pride ourselves on client partnerships, supporting brands over the long term with ambitious development, product and innovation roadmaps – not burning out over fast turnover, pile ‘em high, design-theme-build gigs.
We are currently looking for talented and ambitious Application Support Developers to join our Ecommerce Operations team and help support and deliver large-scale, international, ecommerce projects.
We’re looking for someone who is ultimately a backend PHP developer by trade, but perhaps with an interest in diversifying into DevOps, Cyber Security and Infrastructure as they make their next progression. You'll be hungry to innovate and have a ‘find a way’ mentality. Crucially you’re a team player that thrives on the input of others, and you’re someone who wants to make a difference.
Working as part of our EcomOps team, you’ll be part of a growing team of DevOps Engineers, Developers and Support Analysts that look after the whole technical operation for both agency and clients.
Day to day you’ll be supporting the ecommerce footprint for a diverse range of global ecommerce brands, working closely with the rest of your EcomOps team, and our Delivery and Project teams, to develop, diagnose, maintain and fix application issues. You’ll be on the pulse of security and vulnerability diagnosis and patching, while also helping build and maintain developer tools, and pipeline and deployment processes.
You’ll also be part of supporting and developing one of the biggest payment gateways on the Magento platform and supporting us as part of Magento’s prestigious VBE (vendor bundled extensions) programme.
Reporting directly to the Head of EcomOps (Engineering & Delivery) you’ll play an active role in executing governance over coding standards, validating architectural designs and solutions, helping lead R&D efforts and helping us become a Cyber Security focused business.
In a perfect world you’re already a seasoned Magento 2 developer, maybe even certified, and comfortable with building and maintaining custom modules, extending API functionality, and generally comfortable with the inner workings of Magento.
Perhaps more realistically you’re a cracking PHP framework developer who’s just looking to try something new and is intrigued by a move into more of an operations and security focused role. If you know your MVC and come from a Laravel, Symfony, Zend, CodeIgnitor type background, we’re more than confident we can teach you the rest and have you up to speed in no time.
Ultimately we believe in finding good people above everything else, so as long as your backend application development skills are up to scratch and you exude the GENE values, we can afford to teach the ecommerce/Magento bit.
If you're looking to be part of a company that embodies creativity and innovation, works on the cutting edge of emerging technologies, and truly values people and culture, then GENE is the place for you.
- Ability to efficiently build and maintain Magento 2 modules in adherence to requirements and specifications, OR
- Experience extending and maintaining frameworks or applications in a PHP OO/MVC environment.
- Comfortable collaborating as part of a team, or independently where required
- An adept problem solver with strong debugging skills
- A forward thinker and eager learner looking to constantly grow and improve
- At least two years of backend Magento experience, OR
- At least two years of PHP framework application development experience – Laravel, Symfony, Zend, CodeIgnitor or similar
- Extensive experience with object oriented programming in PHP 7.x
- Experience developing on and against APIs (Rest/GraphQL)
- Comfortable working with version control systems, modern infrastructure, contemporary workflows and tooling (gitflow, docker, CI/CD, etc)
Desirable but not Essential Experience
- Certified Magento 2 developer
- Any development experience on the Magento Commerce Platform
What we can do for you
- We are a remote-first (UK only) business but have great offices in the centre of Brighton, Bristol and Liverpool should you wish to use them
- Everybody has an annual personal, professional training budget
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays
- Company Pension
- Private Healthcare with Vitality
- Flexible working patterns
So if you have the ability, attitude and ambition, and want to work with GENE, send us an email to tell us all about you and why you’d be right for the role, along with your CV and any links to portfolio, work examples, github and side projects, as you see fit – basically anything that will help show us what you can do!